May 13, 2013

Top Five Favorite Safety Spiels

Mr. Toad Toad's WIld Ride sign warning safety spiels Disney
Who says safety can't be fun? In addition to informational signage, most Disney attractions feature audio warnings to discourage riders from doing incredibly stupid things such as standing up and/or sticking their legs out of a moving vehicle.

Fortunately, Disney injects a lot of character and humor into their audio safety spiels. Some, such as "Hang on to them hats and glasses" and "The spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated" have become classics. I'm not including those most famous lines on this list; Consider them forever enshrined in the Great Ride Warnings Hall of Fame.

Although four of these five come from my "home" parks (Disneyland & DCA), the top prize goes to a Walt Disney World ride I haven't even experienced yet! I have Internet Radio and YouTube to thank for my exposure to the joys of WDW attraction audio!

Here we go! Oh--and be sure to remain seated and...well, you know the drill...

TOP FIVE FAVORITE SAFETY SPIELS!

5) Snow White's Scary Adventures as spoken by the Wicked Witch:

"Looking for Snow White, Deary? Then SIT STILL!"

4) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as spoken by Ratty:

"Welcome to Toad Hall! To be sure of a safe and glorious drive in your motorcar, remain firmly seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside. Watch your children--and do try to drive more carefully than Toad."

3) Radiator Springs Racers as spoken by Sheriff over the car radio:

"All right. You be sure to remain seated with your seat belt buckled! Don't make me come after you. Sheriff out."

2) California Screamin' as spoken by The Barker

"Second thoughts? TOO LATE! Head back! Face forward! And hold on like ya mean it! And away you go in five, four, three, two, ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And, here we are: My current favorite ride safety audio:


Video by wdwfacts1
1) TriceraTop Spin as spoken by Chester:

"Hey, spinners! It's Chester here, reminding you for your safety ta stay seated with that seatbelt fastened good n' tight as you spin. Whilst yer spinning, keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside--and be sure to watch your children."

It's the "whilst yer spinning" part that busts me up and crowns this as number one. I haven't been to Dino-Rama in person yet, and I had mixed feelings about the area's concept--until I heard this awesome performance that tells me all I need to know about the land's backstory in one simple, great delivery of a safety warning. Suddenly, I really, really like Chester and Hester. Dino-Rama has become a must-see for me.

What are your current favorites? Do you find the ever-present safety spiels annoying, or is Disney doing a good job of working the warnings into the story?

1 comment:

  1. What a fun blog post, Rich! I do always like how different these can be.

    (Gosh, I am so far behind on reading but I am catching up!)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions!